Moving to a new city can be one of the most exciting experiences of your life. It can also, however, be one of the most disorienting, at least until you begin to learn your way around. While acclimating yourself with a new place used to require a bit of trial and error, today’s advanced technology and the power of Apple’s popular iPhone makes it easier than ever to familiarize yourself with your new home so that you can begin to feel more at ease.
- City Guide: MyCityWay Now with Travel Tools – This free app allows you to plan your route in relation to live traffic feeds, keep up with local news and weather updates, access local business and event information and track hotspots with HeatMap, all with a few taps of the screen.
- Take Me To My Car – While it’s easy to forget where you’ve parked your car in a familiar city if you’re distracted, it’s even easier to do when you’re already slightly confused about your surroundings. Until you get accustomed to your new home and become more familiar with surrounding parking facilities, this free app is indispensable.
- MetrO – Public transportation can be a big money saver, and is a much more environmentally responsible choice than driving everywhere. Unfortunately, it can also be almost impossible to navigate in an unfamiliar city. This free app helps you find your way through a new neighborhood using mass transit, reducing the stress and wasted time that comes with losing your bearings.
- Yelp – Finding the best of local businesses, from eateries to convenience stores, is a snap with the popular, free Yelp app. Powered by real reviews from fellow users, this app allows you to find exactly what you’re looking for, make reservations, and map your route, all with a few taps.
- New City Secrets – The natives of your new city will naturally have the scoop on all the best, out-of-the-way businesses in your neighborhood. Rather than waiting to stumble on these places on your own through trial and error, rely on this free app to discover all the hidden gems around you.
- Time to Enjoy – Narrow your search by walking or driving distance, then use this app to find the best and most interesting events in your area. Meet new people that share your interests, set reminders for events in the future, and begin to build your social calendar with this free application.
- Eventful – Find tour dates for your favorite performers, discover interesting events in your new area, and share your favorites with new friends through this free app, which will also send you email alerts about potentially interesting events based on your taste.
- Urbanspoon – When you need to know where to find pizza at midnight or breakfast for dinner in your new city, use the popular and powerful Urbanspoon app. GPS features will help you find a restaurant’s address, while reviews from local diners and journalists help you narrow the field to find the best of what’s available.
- AroundMe – There will be times in your new city when you find yourself in need of a specific business or service, with no clear idea of how to find the one nearest your current location. That’s where this free app shines, allowing you to find the closest restaurant, grocery store, movie theater, hotel, hospital, gas station or bank in moments.
- NFT Guides, All Cities – The Not for Tourists city guides are a bit on the pricey side, weighing in at $9.99, but they’re lauded by publications like The New Yorker, The New York Times and LA Times. Offering support for 14 cities around the globe, NFT Guides are a must-have for newcomers to a major city.
While these apps offer great ways to get your bearings in a new place, they’re no substitute for physical exploration. They also won’t help you make new friends and connections, but they can lead you to places where you can meet those people. Spending your free time discovering the unique features of your new neighborhood with the guidance of your iPhone’s navigation devices will help you travel confidently in no time.